“Neodymium button magnets are extremely cheap. This instructable explains how to make an angle encoder using 10 neodymium magnets and two hall effect transistors.
The encoder accuracy is within 1 degree.
The design is such that the components can be embedded within the joints of a robotic arm or servo plotter.
The estimated cost of the encoder, excluding the Arduino, is less than $10.00
- 10 only 6mm x 3mm neodymium button magnets
- 2 only 49E Linear Hall Effect Transistors
The following items were obtained locally:
- 1 only M4 x 20mm bolt
- 1 only M4 nut
- 1 only Arduino header pin strip
- Thin plastic coated hookup wire
- 3D printed parts (described later)”