“In this tutorial we’re going to play with a gesture sensor and a NeoPixel ring to learn how to combine them both using an Arduino.
In this tutorial, we’re going to play with a gesture sensor (APDS-9960) and a NeoPixel ring to learn how to combine them both using an Arduino UNO.
The end product will respond to left - right gestures by animating LED movement right or left, and to up-down gestures by changing LED’s color.
In the next steps, you’ll briefly overview the part list and how to connect the components. And then we’ll review the code step by step to learn how it works.
Before you’ll get started make sure you have all the components on you’re table. We’ll have some nice steps to follow :). I’ve also attached the Fritzing schematic as a picture and also in fritzing format.
1. Solder 3 male pins to the NeoPixel ring (GND, PWR, control pin)
2. Attach the NeoPixel ring to the breadboard
3. Attach the APDS9960 sensor to the breadboard
4. Connect the grounds: battery pack, Arduino UNO, APDS9960 and NeoPixel to the breadboard ground
5. Connect the power: Arduino UNO 3V to APDS9960 power pin, NeoPixel to battery pack power
6. Connect the NeoPixel control pin to Arduino D6 pin
7. Connect SDA and SCL of the APDS9960 to the A4 and A5 respectively
8. Connect the APDS9960 interrupt pin to the Arduino D2”