“Vertical farming is a promising solution to address the challenges of limited space, climate change, and resource scarcity.
Stacking crops and plants atop vertical, multi-level racks within a facility with a controlled atmosphere is known as vertical farming. Every rack has an area above it where plants can grow. Because these high-tech farms may be situated in warehouses, industrial buildings, or even skyscrapers instead of using farmland or conventional greenhouses, they significantly reduce the amount of space required to raise food.
Challenges With Vertical Farming in Contemporary Scenario
- Experts wanted.
- High investment cost.
- High running costs.
- High power consumption.
- High maintenance.
- Lack of Automation
This project aims to address this issue by creating a smart vertical farming system that automates control and monitoring through BLE communication, enabling farmers to optimise their crop yields with minimal human intervention.
To successfully develop the smart vertical farming system, the following requirements are required to be met:
- Real-time monitoring and control of environmental parameters, including soil moisture, and light.
- An efficient mechanism for the conversion of humidity to water to ensure the supply of water is not limited.
- Robust and secure BLE communication between sensors, actuators, and the central control unit.
- A user-friendly GUI (Graphical User Interface) to access and control the farming system remotely and act as fault tolerance in the system.
- A scalable and cost-effective system design suitable for various farm sizes.
The design principles include modularity, scalability, security, and ease of use. The system components should be interchangeable, allowing for customisation based on specific crop requirements and farm sizes. Security measures will be implemented to prevent unauthorised access to the system. The system should be user-friendly simple app interface.”