“This repository was formerly known as TS100, it’s the same great code. Just with more supported devices.
Originally conceived as an alternative firmware for the TS100, this firmware has evolved into a complex soldering iron control firmware.
The firmware implements all of the standard features of a ‘smart’ soldering iron, with lots of little extras and tweaks. I highly recommend reading the installation guide fully when installing on your iron. And after install just explore the settings menu.
For soldering irons that are designed to be powered by ‘smart’ power sources (PD and QC), the firmware supports settings around the negotiated power and voltage. For soldering irons that are designed to be powered by batteries (TS100 & Pinecil), settings for a cutoff voltage for battery protection are supported.
Currently 31 languages are supported. When downloading the firmware for your soldering iron, take note of the language code in the file name.
This project is considered feature complete for use as a soldering iron, so please suggest any feature improvements you would like!
This firmware does NOT support the USB port while running for changing settings. This is done through the onscreen menu only. Logos are edited on a computer and flashed like firmware.
Tip Sense refers to the device being able to choose between the ‘usual’ TS100 or Hakko T12 style tips and Pine64’s custom shorter tips which have lower resistance and allow for more power. This is N/A for TS80/TS80P as there is only one model of tip for them.
Recommended Purchase is only referring to if you are buying a new device. Of course all the devices listed are supported and will work excellently for years to come.
The TS101 and S60 feature a higher resolution OLED than other devices. Work is ongoing to support this fully, for now a cropped view is usable.
*PinecilV1 stopped being manufactured a long time ago now, all models for sale online are generally clones (or old stock). Vendors are trying to sell these for more than Pine64 sells the V2 for now. Thus the V1 is no longer recommended.
**Please note that Miniware started shipping TS100’s using cloned STM32 Chips. While these do work with IronOS, their DFU bootloader works terribly, and it is hard to get it to successfully flash larger firmware images like IronOS without timing out. This is the main reason why the TS100 is no longer recommended.
***TS80 is replaced by TS80P. Production ramped down a long time ago and it’s just existing stock clearing the system. It’s marked not recommended being optimistic that people might pause and buy the far superior TS80P instead. This is the main reason why the TS80 is no longer recommended.
For notes on installation for your device, please refer to the flashing guide for your device:
- Pinecil V1
- Pinecil V2
- TS80 / TS80P
- PID style iron temperature control
- Automatic sleep with selectable sensitivity
- Motion wake support
- All settings exposed in the intuitive menu
- (TS100) Set a voltage lower limit for Lithium batteries so you don’t kill your battery pack
- (TS80) Set 18 W or 24 W settings for your power bank
- (TS80P) Automatically negotiates appropriate PD and falls back to QC mode like TS80
- (Pinecil) Supports all 3 power modes (PD, QC, DC In).
- (Pinecilv2) Supports USB-PD EPR for 28V operation.
- Improved readability Fonts, supporting multiple languages
- Use hardware features to improve reliability
- Can disable movement detection if desired
- Boost mode lets you temporarily change the temperature when soldering (i.e. raise the temperature for short periods)
- (TS100/Pinecil) Battery charge level indicator if power source set to a lipo cell count
- (TS80/TS80P/Pinecil) Power bank operating voltage is displayed
- Custom boot up logo support1
- Automatic LCD rotation based on the orientation”