“Arduino based moonflower disco light
This is my first ever project on github, and also the first time I have written code from scratch for a very long time. There are likely to be bugs, bad coding practices and plain stupidity in circuit design or component use. I have tested it all, the circuit and the code runs fine for hours so nothing major wrong with it at least!
I used a WS2812b 8x8 LED matrix which is attached to a 3D printed piece so it slots in where the old LED board used to be. I have used the original PSU that came in the light, and a boost converter to bring it up to a solid 5v as it was only putting out 4.2v (If anyone can advise how to modify the original PSU to put out 5v that would be great). This is powering an Arudino Nano running some FastLED matrix code which I have been using to make moonflower type patterns for beam effects. I have made around 30 patterns so far. I have also used the original potentiometer to adjust the speed of the patterns so its possible to match it to music somewhat. The modified light has a much better spread than the original, and is also brighter! The beam effects are like a poor mans laser scanner. Total build cost is in the region of around £35 which includes purchasing the original light too!
I was working on a sound reactive mode, but as this is my first Arduino project from scratch that part is stumping me for now. I have the input side all worked out using a voltage divider for a line in input and get what look like useful readings from the analog input, but am unsure how to make a BPM detector that would work alongside my code for the moonflower patterns. I will keep working on it but if anyone can suggest how to do it I would be very grateful!
The fan in the picture is a 12v fan, its connected to the spare pads on the PSU which are putting out around 4.2v under load. Its just to keep some air flowing through the light. Due to being a 12v fan running on 4.2v it is almost silent.
Some code is borrowed from the fastLED and fastLED matrix example files, they have been a great resource for learning how to address the matrix.”