Meshlab is a tool that allows you to process and edit 3D objects.
It began to be developed in Visual Computing Lab of ISTI-CNR in 2005 by a group of Students. Development is actively supported by the 3D-CoForm project.
The last version is the 1.3.3 of April 2014.
Meshlab is hosted on sourceforge
Meshlab has the following features:
- Interactive selection and elimination of parts of the network. Even in large models
- Paint interface for selecting, smoothing and coloring the nets
- reading and writing various 3D formats:
- Import from: PLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, PTX, V3D, PTS, APTS, XYZ, GTS, TRI, ASC, X3D, X3DV, VRML, ALN
- Export to: PLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, VRML, DXF, GTS, U3D, IDTF, X3D
- Support for Point Clouds. 3D files that are only composed of dots are supported in PLY and OBJ formats.
- Support U3D; Meshlab is the first open source tool that provides direct support for converting 3D network into U3D format. Now you can create PDFs, only with Meshlab and LaTex.
- Cleaning filters:
- removal of duplicate, unreferenced vertices and null faces.
- removal of small isolated components
- normal, coherent and changed unification.
- non-manifold face cleaning.
- automatic filling of holes
- Replacement filters (remeshing):
- High-quality simplification of border collapsing
- Reconstruction of surfaces from points
- Subdivision of surfaces (cycle and butterfly)
- smoothing maintenance and correction filters
- Filling holes
- Various paint / inspection filters:
- Gaussian and Median Curvature
- edge tips, geodesic distance, from the edges
- tips without 2 “manifolds” and vertices
- self-intersecting faces.
- ambient occlusion
- Interactive Network Painting:
- Color Painting
- Painting selection
- Measuring tool.
- Snipping tool
- 3D scanning tools:
- ICP alignment based on interval maps
- Junction of multiple networks through the reconstruction of the surface “Poisson”
- rendering based on OpenGL Shader
- Large rendering (up to 16k x 16k) for high quality printing.
- Command history system can be re-run on different or recorded networks.
- Extensible Plugins architecture, allowing to create new functions for network handling, paint filters and support for other file formats.